Huge Bio Ethylene Glycol Production Facility Set For Brazil

The Coca-Cola Company is partnering with an Indian company to build the world’s largest plant to produce the main ingredient in PET bottles from sugar cane. Coca-Cola plans to use bioplastic-based PlantBottle packaging technology in all of its plastic bottles by 2020. 

The company has sold more than 10 billion PlantBottle packages around the world since its introduction in 2009.

JBF Industries Ltd. of Mumbai, India will build the world’s largest facility to produce bio-glycol in Araraquara, Sao Paulo, Brazil. Construction on the new facility is expected to begin at the end of this year and last for 24 months. At full capacity, it is estimated the facility will produce 500,000 metric tons of bio ethylene glycol per year. Total global production of bio-glycol last year was just 30,000 metric tons. It was zero in 2009.

JBF currently operates PET manufacturing locations in India and the UAE with a new green field facility planned in Belgium. The investment in Brazil will be 100% by JBF Group through its overseas subsidiaries.

MEG (mono-ethylene glycol) makes up 30% of PET by weight, and PTA (purified terephthalic acid) makes up the other 70%. Research is under way to develop commercially viable ways to make PTA from renewable resources.

About Doug Smock

Former Chief Editor at Plastics World and Senior Technical Editor Design News

Bioplastics, Blow molding, Green, Packaging, South America ,

Comments are closed.